At Tower Health Transplant Institute, our kidney transplant program is led by an adept team of nephrologists, surgeons, nurses, and support staff who are committed to your journey. We understand the impact of having a kidney transplant and will offer support, guidance, and be there for you throughout your journey.
Who is a candidate for a kidney transplant?
You might be a candidate for a kidney transplant if your disease is advanced and have chronic disease, including: diabetes, hypertension, chronic kidney inflammation, HIV, previous history of cancer, polycystic kidney disease and other conditions. You may be considered for transplant if your estimated kidney function is less than 20 percent or you are on dialysis.
Our goal is to assist you through the evaluation process, the national wait list placement, and complete the transplant in the shortest possible time with the best possible outcome.
Advanced Transplant Care
Patients in our Kidney Transplant Program at Tower Health Transplant Institute receive advanced care from a highly respected team of specialists offering these advantages:
- An experienced multidisciplinary team devoted specifically to the specialized care of the transplant patients, providing excellent survival outcomes.
- Extensive experience with high-risk transplant recipients, including:
- Patients age 65 and over
- HIV infected patients
- Patients with a history of cancer
- Patients who are overweight (patients with higher BMI)
- Surgery performed at the Reading Hospital Healthplex in West Reading, one of the most sophisticated and technologically advanced surgical centers in Pennsylvania.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and United Network of Organ Sharing (UNOS) approved.
- Routine use of modern therapies for preventing rejection. Immunosuppressive drugs are tailored to the individual recipient to help avoid adverse effects.
Comprehensive Transplant Care
Tower Health Transplant Institute is one of few hospitals in the region with the expertise to handle a wide variety of patients eligible for kidney transplant. Our team is proud to continue our tradition of excellence; at Hahnemann University Hospital the team had the only 5-star rated kidney transplant program in Pennsylvania and the third highest rated program in the United States (out of 261 programs nationwide as determined by Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients, measuring patient survival one year after transplant, 1/1/2016 – 6/30/2018).
Our expertise includes:
- Transplant prior to dialysis
- Living donor kidney transplantation
- Patients age 65 and over who are evaluated and determined to be good candidates. Studies have shown that transplant can lead to a good quality of life and increase in the estimated life expectancy of older patients.
- Patients with viral infections such as Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and HIV who are otherwise doing relatively well.
- Overweight patients
We take pride in the excellent service we provide. Our comprehensive team of physicians and support staff communicate directly with you and there is always a member of the transplant team on-call for after-hours concerns.