At Tower Health Transplant Institute, we understand the impact it will have on you and your family. Led by a team of nationally and internationally recognized physicians and surgeons, our program delivers comprehensive care, support, and guidance throughout the transplant process.
Who is a candidate for a liver transplant?
You may be a candidate for a liver transplant if you have been diagnosed with acute or fulminant liver failure or a chronic liver disease, such as Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer), autoimmune liver disease, or alcoholic or non-alcoholic liver disease. Part of the evaluation process will be to determine your MELD score, which is derived from laboratory tests and predicts the severity of liver failure.
Our goal is to assist you through the evaluation process, the national wait list placement, and completion of the transplant in the shortest possible time with the best possible outcome.
Advanced Transplant Care
Patients in the Liver Disease and Transplant Program at Tower Health Transplant Institute receive advanced levels of care from a highly respected team, of specialists offering these advantages:
- An experienced, multidisciplinary team providing some of the best survival outcomes in the United States. The transplant physicians are Drexel University College of Medicine faculty members.
- Offices located in West Reading and Philadelphia for liver disease evaluation and treatment.
- Participation in clinical and basic science research to increase the availability of donor organs improve transplant outcomes and explore alternatives to transplant.
- Surgery performed at the Reading Hospital Healthplex in West Reading, one of the most sophisticated and technologically advanced surgical centers in Pennsylvania.
- Certification and approval from Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS).
- Expert treatment of complex liver diseases, such as Hepatitis C, hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer), autoimmune liver disease, and alcoholic or non-alcoholic liver disease.
Comprehensive Transplant Care
Tower Health Transplant Institute liver transplant program is one of few hospitals in the region with the expertise and superior results to handle a wide variety of advanced liver diseases. We are committed to working with you and your family to monitor your health, plan your transplant, and provide all necessary follow-up care including:
- Complete services for patients with liver disorders, hepatic failure and hepato-pancreato-biliary (HPB) diseases.
- Expertise with high-risk transplant candidates.
- Post-transplant continuum of care tailored to patients’ individual treatment needs.
Improving the Quality of Life
Our goal is to provide life-changing transplants that offer patients with advanced liver disease to return to a full and active lifestyle for many years to come.