Tower Health announced that it has received more than 25 Five-Star ratings and awards according to the latest analysis by Healthgrades, the leading resource that connects consumers, physicians, and health systems.
Each year, Healthgrades recognizes hospitals with superior performance in specific medical and surgical cohorts, specialty service lines, and specialty focus areas. "We want to provide information to make finding a healthcare specialist or hospital an easier experience for consumers. Patients can feel confident knowing that hospitals that are recognized for their performance in areas like Pulmonary Care and Stroke Care provide high-quality care and superior outcomes," said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer and Head of Data Science, Healthgrades.
Recognition for Tower Health hospitals in the latest Healthgrades report include:
- Among the Top 10 percent in the Nation for Pulmonary Care (from 2013-2022) and Stroke Care (from 2006-2022) specialty care excellence. Reading Hospital is the only hospital in Pennsylvania to achieve the Healthgrades Stroke Care Excellence Award for 16 years in a row (2007-2022).
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure for 10 years in a row (2013-2022), Valve Surgery (2022), Total Hip Replacement for two years in a row (2021-2022), Treatment of Stroke for 17 years in a row (2006-2022), Treatment of Pneumonia for 11 years in a row (2012-2022), Treatment of GI Bleed for four years in a row (2019-2022), Treatment of Bowel Obstruction in 2022, Treatment of Pulmonary Embolism for three years in a row (2020-2022), Treatment of Sepsis for 15 years in a row (2008-2022), Treatment of Respiratory Failure for eight years in a row (2015-2022)
- Named Among the Top 5 percent in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services in 2022
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2022 Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™
- Five-Star Recipient in 2022 for Treatment of Stroke, Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Treatment of Pneumonia, and Treatment of Sepsis for two years in a row (2021-2022)
- Named Among the Top 10 percent in the Nation for Treatment of Stroke in 2022
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2022 Stroke Care Excellence Award™
- Five-Star Recipient in 2022 for Treatment of Heart Attack, Treatment of Stroke, and Treatment of Sepsis, and for two years in a row (2021-2022) for Colorectal Surgeries and for Treatment of Heart Failure
- Five-Star Recipient in 2022 for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Five-Star Recipient in 2022 for Colorectal Surgeries
"This recognition by Healthgrades is a tremendous testament to the Tower Health staff and clinical team, who strive each and every day to provide the highest-quality patient care to our community, which we are so privileged to serve," said P. Sue Perrotty, Tower Health President and CEO. "To maintain this level of quality even since the beginning of the pandemic speaks to their strength, resilience, and dedication. We have a remarkable team and they deserve this public recognition for excellence."
For its analysis*, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 31 common conditions and procedures and evaluated outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states. Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected), and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected).
About Tower Health
Tower Health is a strong, regional, integrated healthcare provider/payer system that offers leading-edge, compassionate healthcare and wellness services to a population of 2.5 million people. With approximately 14,000 team members, Tower Health consists of Reading Hospital in West Reading; Brandywine Hospital in Coatesville; Chestnut Hill Hospital in Philadelphia; Jennersville Hospital in West Grove; Phoenixville Hospital in Phoenixville; Pottstown Hospital in Pottstown; and St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, a partnership of Tower Health and Drexel University in Philadelphia. It also includes Reading Hospital Rehabilitation at Wyomissing; Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences in West Reading; home healthcare services provided by Tower Health at Home; and a network of 25 urgent care facilities across the Tower Health service area. Tower Health Medical Group includes approximately 800 primary and specialty physicians in more than 100 locations. For more information, visit towerhealth.org.
* Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2018 through 2020 and represent three-year estimates for Medicare patients only. For appendectomy and bariatric surgery, Healthgrades used inpatient data from 16 states that provide all-payer data for years 2017 through 2019. Due to the highly variable impact of the pandemic on hospital outcomes, Healthgrades made the decision to exclude cases with a COVID-19 diagnosis from the 2020 data to preserve the statistical integrity of our models and fairly evaluate clinical outcomes at all hospitals. To view the complete methodology, please visit: https://www.healthgrades.com/quality/ratings-awards/methodology.