Helping your child see clearly.
Your child can get complete vision care — from routine vision tests to expert treatment and surgery for even the most complex childhood eye conditions. Our eye care specialists (ophthalmologists) offer the expertise and capability you can only find at a pediatric academic medical center. Count on us for the latest treatments delivered by a compassionate team.
Focus on children’s eye and vision health.
We treat a full range of eye conditions, including rare childhood eye diseases. It is comforting to know that whatever eye care needs your child has, you can find it right here.
Our talented eye care specialists offer leading-edge treatments and the latest advancements in children's vision and eye care. Our doctors work with nurses, optometrists, ophthalmic technicians, visual therapists, and other specialists for your child’s healthy eyes and vision.
We make sure you understand your child’s treatment and keep you involved in your child’s care.
Comprehensive Pediatric Eye Care
If your child has a change in vision, such as blurriness, or a lump or sore on their eyelid, or eye pain or redness, an eye doctor can help.
We treat a wide range of eye conditions in children, including:
- Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Cataracts (causes blurry or hazy vision)
- Genetic eye diseases, such as glaucoma
- Ptosis (drooping eyelid)
- Retinopathy of prematurity (eye disorder that affects premature babies)
- Strabismus (misaligned eyes)
- Tearing problems, such as blocked tear ducts
- Traumatic eye injuries
- Vision-related learning or reading problems
Our pediatric ophthalmologists use a variety of approaches to find and treat vision problems, including:
- Expert diagnosis. We use a range of tests to evaluate vision and eye health, including advanced testing — called visual electrophysiology — that can find problems before symptoms develop. We also offer second opinions to ensure your child has the correct diagnosis.
- Visual therapy. These visual exercises focus on correcting the part of your child's brain that controls vision. A therapist leads your child through structured activities to help fix crossed eyes, lazy eye, and other common vision problems.
- Prescriptions. Your doctor may prescribe eyeglasses or contacts to improve your child’s vision. Some conditions are treated with medicine or eyedrops.
- Advanced surgery. Our pediatric surgeons have the skills and experience to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures to improve and protect vision. We specialize in ptosis, strabismus, cataracts, and glaucoma surgeries.
Why Choose Us for Your Child’s Eye and Vision Care
At St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children, our talented eye care specialists are dedicated to improving and preserving your child's vision. Parents choose us for our:
- Pediatric eye care expertise. As a pediatric academic medical center, we offer the latest treatments delivered by experienced vision care experts. You get top-quality care, close to home.
- Early detection of eye diseases. Our doctors can find vision problems at the earliest stages. This allows us to treat eye disease before it causes vision problems.
- Kid-friendly focus. Our specialists work with kids every day, so we know how to make eye exams go smoothly. We make sure both kids and parents feel at ease.
- Comprehensive, team approach. Our eye specialists work with experts to treat all the conditions that affect your child’s vision — doctors in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), diabetes specialists, child development specialists and others.
- Leading-edge eye surgery for all ages. If your child needs surgery, they are in highly capable hands. We have the expertise to perform surgery on our tiniest infant patients.