Physiatry is a medical specialty in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) focused on the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of people disabled by disease, disorder, or injury.
Physiatrists are medical doctors who:
- Expertly diagnose and treat pain without surgery.
- Treat a wide range of problems from sore shoulders to spinal cord injuries.
- Take the time needed to accurately pinpoint the source of an ailment.
- Design a treatment plan that can be carried out by the patients themselves or with the collaboration of the therapy team.
- Provide an appropriate treatment plan to help patients stay as active as possible at any age.
- Treat disabling conditions throughout a person’s lifetime.