Cancer treatment can take a toll on your physical and emotional health. At Tower Health, we are here to support you every step of the way — from support groups and help managing side effects to wellness services, counseling, and rehabilitation. We offer convenient services close to home in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
Patient navigation to guide you through your cancer journey.
Learning that you have cancer is life-changing. The experience brings many concerns and questions and it can be challenging to understand the complexity of cancer and the healthcare system. But, our nurse navigators are here to help.
Our nurse navigators are registered nurses with extensive knowledge of cancer care. Whether you have minor questions, need support services, or would like help coordinating your care, your nurse navigator is a trusted resource who’s ready to help you chart a course — from diagnosis and biopsy through treatment and survivorship. We’re your guide for information and coordination of care. And an advocate for you to make sure you receive the support and knowledge you need to help you find your way.
How Nurse Navigators Help
There are many benefits to accessing patient navigation services. You will have enhanced access to healthcare services and information, guidance to help you schedule appointments, and support when you need it most. Nurse navigators will:
- Guide you to healthcare services for continuity and coordination of care.
- Educate and support you, your family, and your caregivers.
- Help you manage appointments.
- Help you communicate with your providers.
- Connect you to community resources and support services such as nutrition, social services, and psychological support.
Reading Hospital – Tower Health has nurse navigators ready to assist you. Talk to your doctor about a referral to our nurse navigation services or call 484-628-8621.
Brandywine Hospital – Tower Health, our nurse navigator has decades of experience working with cancer patients and their families. Our navigator is your resource and the link between the doctors, nurses, and other hospital personnel. You can count on having the right resources to make the journey a little less intimidating.
Managing Cancer Side Effects
Cancer treatments can cause side effects. Our cancer support services help you manage the psychological and physical side effects of coping with cancer. We offer many services to help you manage your pain and the side effects of chemotherapy or radiation and cope with your disease and treatment. Our goal is your total wellness. Some of the services we offer include:
- Fertility preservation. We offer advanced IVF procedures including intracytoplasmic sperm injection and embryo freezing and storage.
- Image Recovery Center at Reading Hospital. Cancer treatments can cause temporary or permanent physical changes that have the potential to alter body image. We address appearance-related issues with color, clothing, cosmetics, hair replacement, and mastectomy products.
- Look Good, Feel Better Workshops. You’re beautiful and we want you to feel that way too. We offer free seminars to help women adjust to a changing body.
- Lymphedema care. Lymphedema is caused by the removal of, or damage to, your lymph nodes. It occurs when the lymph fluid doesn’t drain well and builds up, leading to swelling. We offer physical therapy, massage, and compression garments to help lessen the effects of lymphedema.
- Nutritional counseling. Our registered dietitians provide nutrition care for our cancer patients. If you are admitted to the hospital, you will receive nutrition screening to help identify the type of nutrition treatment you need. If you need specific nutrition, you may receive a nutrition assessment, education, support, and monitoring. You can also receive outpatient nutritional counseling.
- Palliative care. This service is designed for patients and families who are facing a serious or life-threatening illness, regardless of the diagnosis or their ability to pay. Our team includes specially trained doctors, nurses, social workers, chaplains, and dietitians. They work to keep you as comfortable and active as possible while providing support to the entire family.
- Support services. We offer programs and resources to help patients and their families at every stage of treatment and recovery. These include Hatha yoga, Tai Chi, and healing yoga classes.
- Wigs. If you need a wig, we have a donation program and wig styling services at several locations.
At Tower Health, we understand that cancer affects every aspect of your life. That’s why we offer an integrative approach to treatment and recovery. It brings together traditional medicine with an evidence-based approach to mind and body practices. This means we can combine traditional cancer treatment with integrative practices like lifestyle modifications, natural products and approaches, guided imagery, exercise, acupuncture, and more. We offer onsite classes, workshops, and events, including:
- Massage therapy
- Reiki therapy
- Gentle movement including yoga and Tai Chi
- Art and pet therapy
- Mindfulness and relaxation technique
You’ve accomplished so much. You are a hero. And now more than ever, it’s time to maximize your recovery. Your cancer rehabilitation team is here to help. Our goal is your total wellness — both physical and emotional. We provide the most complete, personalized rehabilitation care to help you regain your health and get your life back on track. As a survivor, you may have symptoms such as fatigue, weakness, insomnia, memory loss, fear, anxiety, and depression. These are normal survivorship issues. Our rehabilitation services can help you recover more quickly and more completely. Your health and recovery are our passion, and we look at your diet, sleep issues, existing pain, endurance, strength, exercise habits, and emotional outlook, and build a plan just for you.
- Physical therapy. Helps with mobility, strength, and pain reduction.
- Occupational therapy. Helps improve daily living activities like bathing, dressing, and cooking.
- Speech and Language Therapy. Helps with speaking, feeding, swallowing, or any combination of the three
- Nutritional counseling. We work with you to develop a nutrition plan that will guide your food choices and fuel your body so you can recover healthy.
- Mental health counseling. A cancer diagnosis and treatment takes its toll. You are a survivor. We can help you learn coping skills, gain emotional strength, and move forward in a positive, healthy direction.
Each team member provides expert medical guidance, training, encouragement, and support throughout your rehabilitation.
Social Work Services
When first diagnosed with cancer, there are many priorities to consider — tests, treatments, side effects, doctor appointments, and so much more. It’s important to know that there are many more parts of your life that will be affected as well — self-image, work, family, friendships, and finances.
Our social workers offer counseling to those who are affected by cancer and need assistance. This can include services such as case management, support groups, financial assistance, and educational information.
You can count on our services to meet your needs, including:
- Understanding your diagnosis and treatment plan
- Financial assistance
- Support groups
- Community programs
Support groups offer encouragement and advice, as well as practical tips for dealing with illness, recovery, and the challenges of everyday life. Connecting with others with similar experiences can help validate your feelings, lift your spirits, and help reduce stress. Support groups offer an environment to:
- Discuss questions or concerns related to cancer treatment.
- Share difficult feelings.
- Work through grief, anger, or confusion.
- Give you information about community resources.
- Talk with others who can relate to your feelings.
Find a cancer support group near you.
See all support groups available at a Tower Health hospital below or view just Cancer Support Groups.
Brandywine Hospital Support Groups[VIEW ALL]
Reading Hospital Support Groups[VIEW ALL]
Pottstown Hospital Support Groups [VIEW ALL]
Phoenixville Hospital Support Groups[VIEW ALL]
Held the first Wednesday of each month, 1:30 p.m.–2:30 p.m. in the Oncology Conference Room. For more information, please call (215) 427-5571