When you give your time or talents to St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children, you help make our community stronger.
Whether you are a student, full-time mom, working professional, or retiree, there is a volunteer position that is right for you. You can help greet visitors, deliver mail, knit hats for newborns, or read to patients. We also offer unpaid training and education opportunities.
As a volunteer, you will also meet new people and learn new skills — while making a difference to people in need.
Our volunteers work throughout the hospital. Some work with children and their families. Others work in departments that help support patient care behind the scenes. And with positions available on weekdays, evenings, and weekends, you can find a spot that fits your schedule.
Clinical and nonclinical areas that welcome volunteers include our:
- Admissions Escort/Greeter
- Ambassador Program
- Art Cart
- Beverage Cart
- Caring Through Reading Program
- Child Life Services
- Child Protection Program Dialysis Unit
- Emergency Department
- Emergency Room Waiting Room
- Food and Nutrition
- Information Desk
- Information Desk Escort
- Mailroom Aide
- Materials Management (Receiving Aide)
- NICU Reading Volunteer
- OR Waiting Room
- PACU Recovery Room
- Patient Care (Cuddling Program)
- Pet Therapy
- Radiology Department
- Short Procedure Unit
- Supply, Processing & Distribution
Learn more about Non-Traditional opportunities. Call: 215-427-4671
Many of our volunteers do not have special training or hospital experience. You just need to:
- Be at least 15 years old.
- Agree to volunteer at least four hours per week.
- Fill out an application and take part in an interview.
- Provide a copy of your immunization records.
- Agree to a criminal background check, child abuse check, fingerprinting, and drug screening.
- Provide references.
- Attend our volunteer orientation program.
- Attend any other orientation or training sessions required by your department or unit.
How to Apply
If you would like to become a volunteer, please read and fill out our application packet (PDF).
Pet Therapy Volunteers
Completed forms and applications can be emailed or mailed.
Email us at STCVolunteer@towerhealth.org. Please include your name and the words “Volunteer Application” in the subject line.
Mail your application to:
St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children
160 East Erie Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19134-1095
Unpaid Training and Education
St. Christopher’s also offers unpaid training and education positions. These positions are also known as nontraditional volunteer opportunities. They are managed through our human resources department and include:
- Employee shadowing and observerships
- Research positions
Learn more about nontraditional opportunities. Call 215-427-5398.