What if I can't afford to pay my bill?

If you are unable to make full payment upon receipt of your bill, call us immediately at 484-628-1020. We can work with you to resolve your balance through one of the following options:

  • A monthly payment plan
  • Public assistance: You may be eligible for health insurance coverage through the State of Pennsylvania. We can help you apply if you have a bill related to an inpatient stay. If you have an unpaid bill for outpatient services, contact the Department of Public Assistance610-736-4211.
  • Patient Financial Assistance program: This program assists patients who do not qualify for public assistance, but who are unable to pay their hospital expenses themselves. Call 484-628-1020 for more information.
  • CHIP: Pennsylvania’s Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP): If your children do not have health insurance, you may be able to get coverage for them at little or no cost. Please call 1-811-989-KIDS to find out if you qualify, or call our Referral & Information Services at 833-34-TOWER for a brochure and application form.

My doctor wants me to have a test done at Reading Hospital, but I don't have the money to pay. What should I do?

Call 484-628-1020 or e-mail us to find out the cost of the test and to let us know about your concerns. You may also qualify for the options mentioned above, and we can help you get started.

Why did I receive a bill from a physician I never saw?

There are many services that have associated professional fees. For example, if you had an X-ray, you can expect to see a bill or statement from the physician who read and interpreted your x-rays, even though you never saw the radiologist yourself.

I was never at Reading Hospital. Why are you sending me a bill for laboratory services?

This usually occurs when your doctor obtained a blood or urine specimen that was sent to our laboratory for processing. You will receive a bill for those services. Examples include PAP smears, skin biopsies, and throat cultures.

When can I expect to receive my bill?

Your type of insurance will determine the timing of your bill. Typically, we send you a bill after your insurance company has processed the bill. There might be times when your insurance has not responded to our request for payment, and we may ask you to become involved in resolving the open balance.

I received a questionnaire from my insurance company asking me if someone else is liable for my bill. What does that mean and do I really have to complete this form?

Yes. Any requests for information from your insurance company are very important. Coordination of benefits means that your insurance company thinks that you may be covered by another insurance plan in addition to their coverage. They are trying to determine who is responsible for paying your bills first. Please remember, if you don’t return the information, your bill will not be paid.

My insurance company didn't pay my bill and I know that I have coverage. Why did they reject this bill?

You will need to contact your insurance company. Please update our Call Center with any information that you obtain from your insurance company.

What happens if I don't agree with my insurance company and their determination to not cover my bill? Do I still have to pay?

Yes. You are still responsible for payment even if you disagree with your insurance company. At the time of each service, our patients sign a document agreeing to pay their bills. However, you can pursue your disagreement with your insurance company through a formal grievance process.

Why are you asking for my automobile insurance carrier information? I wasn't in a car accident. I only got my finger caught in a car door!

Any injury incurred relating to a car must be submitted to the patient’s automobile insurance. Your health insurance is not responsible for paying for services that are the result of an automobile-related incident.

I was injured in a car accident. It was the other driver's fault. It doesn't seem fair that I'm being billed to my automotive insurance company.

Any injury incurred relating to a car must be submitted to the patient’s automobile insurance. Your health insurance is not responsible for paying for services that are the result of an automobile-related incident.

If you have any questions about your health coverage, it is best to contact your employer/plan administrator or the insurance carrier directly.