Who We Are
Welcome to the Tower Health Anesthesiology Residency Program!
We are a new program. But, we’re not new to healthcare. With more than 150 years of experience supporting our residency, we are:
- Busy - We perform 24,000+ operations/procedures per year and deliver more than 3,600 babies annually.
- A Smaller Program - With our large clinical volumes and only six residents in each class, we will provide you with a sizable experience. You’ll know your classmates, our faculty, and they’ll know you. We are invested in your personal growth and professional success.
- Quality Driven - As a CMS "5 Star", Magnet Designated, and Healthgrades "Top 50" hospital, our patient outcomes are in the top 4% nationally. You will learn from and work with multidisciplinary teams in pursuit of clinical excellence.
- A great place to work and live - Many of our faculty and staff live right in this community. We regularly care for our friends and neighbors. We are invested in the health of our community!
Tower Health strives to enhance the health and transform the lives of those in our care. Our mission is to provide compassionate, accessible, high quality, cost effective healthcare to the community, to promote health, to educate healthcare professionals, and to participate in appropriate clinical research.
The Anesthesiology residency at Reading Hospital/Tower Health is designed with that mission in mind. We know that Anesthesiologists are leaders for complex situations and for multidisciplinary teams. We educate and train our physicians to be patient centered, quality focused, and collaboration-oriented clinicians. We value diversity, inclusion, and teamwork as essential to improving care. Our graduates will be clinical leaders who possess a broad fund of knowledge, exceptional technical abilities, and the interpersonal communication skills necessary to lead in the future.
Our graduates will be prepared to:
- Obtain Board Certification as per the American Board of Anesthesiology. We will provide the clinical experiences, academic structure, and an environment of mentorship which provides feedback and support.
- Provide the highest level of care for patients and communities. We will ensure that our culture and example have the patient as the focus of every decision and that our clinical pathways are evidence based and quality driven.
- Develop collaborative, efficient working environments to enhance the partnerships with Surgery, Nursing, and add value for organizations.
- Educate patients, families, and communities, and pass along their knowledge and experience to the next generation of healthcare professionals.
Interview with Program Director David Matson, DO (2020 - 2022)
A virtual tour of Reading Hospital: Anesthesiology
Reading Hospital - Tower Health
As the flagship for our large regional health system, Reading Hospital has garnered many of the most prestigious national quality awards. The recently added HealthPlex has been designed to afford our patients and our providers with the best possible tools for optimal clinical outcomes. At Reading, our Department is privileged to provide over 24000 anesthetics and care for greater than 3600 deliveries annually. Our clinical services and educational rotations include the most advanced cardiac, neurological, trauma, pediatric, obstetrical, and pain procedures and techniques. Our experienced, talented faculty will mentor you as you develop your professional portfolio.
As a part of a long tradition of graduate medical education at Reading Hospital, we are confident that the broad range of patient care experiences, academic teaching, and professional mentorship within our Department and the Tower health organization will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and judgment to be a consultant and a leader in Anesthesiology.
- St. Christopher's Hospital for Children
- Jefferson Torresdale Hospital