Reading Hospital, the flagship hospital of Tower Health, has been involved in providing internship opportunities for college and medical students for many years. This year, Reading Hospital and Drexel University College of Medicine at Tower Health will jointly sponsor the Summer Internship Program. We strongly encourage students from all backgrounds to apply, especially those from backgrounds historically underrepresented in medicine. Our selection committee will be conducting a blind review of all applications.
Student Summer Internship Description
This robust, six-week Summer Internship Program is primarily designed for undergraduate students who have a strong interest in pursuing medicine as a career. This program is also intended to provide additional research exposure for medical students that are in their first two years of medical school. This six-week Summer Internship Program consists of supervised and guided research opportunities and/or clinical observation experience in Reading Hospital, one of the top 50 hospitals in the country. To best allow for the exploration of career interests in medicine and healthcare, the internship experience can be tailored based on personal interest and our supervising faculty’s expertise.
The Internship is available in most academic clinical departments at Reading Hospital such as Surgery, Internal Medicine, Pathology, Emergency Medicine, etc.
Experiences and Benefits
- Development of a mentoring relationship with members of our excellent teaching faculty
- Opportunity to understand and appreciate the social determinants of health
- Opportunity to observe how healthcare providers interact with patients and deliver compassionate, high-quality care in real-time
- Opportunity to learn how to conduct clinical research, literature review, data collection, statistical analysis, and prepare a manuscript
- Opportunity to attend didactics, grand rounds, and research seminars
- Completion of a formal presentation to a panel of faculty at the end of this internship
Internship Start Date: June 5, 2023
Application Deadline: March 15, 2023
- Applicants must be enrolled in a four-year college with a pre-med major, or in the first two years of medical school, at a minimum.
- Applicants must be in good standing.
- Applicants must be able to complete the full six-week internship.
- Applicants must pass the background check.
Upon completion of the program, the student will receive a stipend of $2,000.
Requirements to Apply
- Completed Summer Internship Application
- Personal Statement
- Transcripts – college or medical school
The completed application must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with a personal statement, resume, and transcripts attached (A single PDF packet in the above order is preferred.).
- Candidates are required to submit the completed background check paperwork within one week of receipt from our office.
- Parking is free.
- We do not provide housing for the internship.