Competencies required for all rotations.
- Assess and manage the patient’s general medical status.
- Prevent, diagnose, and manage diseases, disorders, and injuries of the pediatric and adult lower extremity.
- Demonstrate ability to formulate a methodical and comprehensive treatment plan with appreciation of healthcare costs.
- Practice and abide by the principles of informed consent.
Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- Communicate effectively in a multi-disciplinary setting.
- Demonstrate accurate charting, dictation and record keeping.
- Demonstrate continued self-study & regular literature review.
- Demonstrate knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathology in each core curricular area.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the psychosocial and healthcare needs for patients in all life stages: pediatric through geriatric.
- Practice with professionalism, compassion, and concern in a legal, ethical, and moral fashion.
- Abide by state and federal laws, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA),
- Governing the practice of podiatric medicine and surgery.
- Demonstrate sensitivity and responsiveness to cultural values, behaviors, and preferences of one’s patients when providing care to persons whose race, ethnicity, nation of origin, religion, gender and/or sexual orientation is/are different from one’s own.
- Accept criticism constructively.
- Demonstrate professional humanistic qualities.
- Demonstrate professional appearance.
- Demonstrate pattern of punctuality and reliability in performance of his/her duties.
Practice Based Learning
- Be professionally inquisitive, life-long learners and teachers utilizing research, scholarly activity, and information technologies to enhance professional knowledge and clinical practice.
- Demonstrate familiarity with utilization management and quality improvement
- Demonstrate an understanding of public health concepts, health promotion, and disease prevention
Systems Based Practice
- Manage individuals and populations in a variety of socioeconomic and healthcare settings.
- Understand podiatric practice management in a multitude of healthcare delivery settings.